Friday, July 8, 2011

Summertime Friday Five



My friend Dorcas has finally posted today summertime FF. I have been wondering why no one had come up with a summer FF. I guess it is because it has only gotten warm in some of our climes:


So, what's up, Rev Gals and Pals? How are you spending your summer? (I know, some of you are in a different hemisphere and it may be chilly...sorry!) Are you experiencing fire or floods or tornados? Vacationing? Working harder than ever? Experiencing change? Longing for change?


Share five things that are happening in your life, personally or professionally or some of each, in this season of life.

1. Pulpit Supply: While many of you are relaxing and vacationing, people like me cover your parishes. I am having great fun although the readings are awful. I now know why pastors take July and Aug. off. They leave us subs with all those readings that no one else wants to preach so I am preaching all the things I have always wanted to preach but never had to do in my own parish! 8>D

Last week it was the marriage of Rebekah. (Yeah, and I am going to preach on marriage in TX the week after the NY state vote for same-sex marriage?? I don’t like the smell of tar in the morning.) This week it is the stealing of Esau’s birthright. I have often felt that the patriarchs and matriarchs of the Abrahamic religions needed to have some family systems therapy. So this week it is about seeds and where they fall. But do I really believe that God is a sower???

2. Chemotherapy: I am not going through chemo but J is and it is harder to watch someone you love go through this than to do it yourself. At least I have found a therapist that I can go extrovert with so I don’t have to belabor J with my fears.

3. Heat: It is supposed to be 105 today and my blood is still Upstate NY thick. J can’t go swimming during chemo so there isn’t much to do except stay in the AC. Maybe a movie will kill the boredom.


4. Tomatoes: Watching my tomato plants grow and produce. It has been difficult since it turned really hot, but since they are in pots, I can move them a bit under the trees so that they don’t burn up. I hadn’t realized that cardinals like tomatoes too so I now have securely netted potted tomato plants.

5. Planning the kind of vacation we want to do in October after J has finished chemo and radiation therapy. WooHoo!

1 comment:

Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

I SO have not forgotten you, dear woman! One of these days, maybe before a year has passed, I will answer that email. Don't think my lack of response is because of anything you said. It's about me...and many things. Meanwhile, I'm so sorry for J. and the chemo. Stopped to pray for her (and you). Your first answer made me LOL, and I'm at work so had to sstifle...hahaha...see why some of us don't use the lectionary? Giggling...and hoping for more pulpit supply to come MY way! (((hugs)))