Monday, May 12, 2008

Custodial Responsibility




On several occasions Presiding Bishop Katharine Jefferts-Schori has said that the reason that the Episcopal Church (TEC) is initiating suits against those parishes which are leaving TEC is because we have a responsibility to those who have built the churches and given in the name of the Episcopal Church. TEC has a custodial responsibility for the buildings and their contents for the future of the Church.

It was with some dismay then that I heard from a colleague from another denomination about the condition of St. Andrew’s, Vestal. My friend and her church were looking at a property to buy. They were shown the St. Andrew’s property. It was as if the property had not even changed hands. Prayer books were still in the pews. Choir robes were still in the choir room. The property was up on the blocks, but it was as if there had been no care taken to assess the property and its contents.

Now, I am in no way supportive of St. Andrew’s and its policies of dis-communion. And in no way am I supportive of their leaving the Episcopal Church except that I know that the clergy are happier. But I do have to give them credit for having left the building and the property in healthy way and without damage. The concern I have, is the Diocese of Central New York doing what is necessary to maintain custodial responsibility for the property? There has been no cleaning up of the property. There is some question if the property inside the building has even been accounted for. What is to be done with Altar linens, prayer books, bibles and the lot?

There is no doubt that there are too many Episcopal congregations in Broome County given the wholesale depopulation that has gone on in the county over the past 10-15 years. To close a congregation like St. Andrews because there is no longer a viable congregation to inhabit the building seems to be a considered action. But is this the kind of custodial care that merits the kind of suit against Good Shepherd, a parish in a similar situation as St. Andrews? What will we do with yet another empty building? Certainly the real estate value is not that high given today’s economy.

In such places like Falls Church, VA where there is a viable congregation remaining in TEC and the various churches in San Joachin or Ft. Worth, I can see the need for suits to regain property that has been stolen by the schismatics. But in Central New York, I question the validity of such a suit just to close another church especially when the diocese is doing nothing to ensure the custodial responsibility of the property. Why don’t we just charge Good Shepherd rent?

Then comes the question, cui bono? Where does the money go when these properties are sold? Does it go into the coffers of the diocese to be used to pay for more legal fees or more diocesan meetings that produce nothing? Or does the sale of these properties go for the furtherance of the ministry of Jesus Christ in the Southern Tier?

Christians of the Diocese of Central New York need to be asking questions about the use of the property that the diocese owns. We need to be asking what is to be done with Thornfield, St. Andrew’s in the Valley, Syracuse, St. Andrew’s, Vestal and Good Shepherd, Binghamton before we spend more on legal fees.

5 comments:

Lee Bronson said...

in your blog you say that the property looks like it never changed hand. I beg to differ with you for it has and so hasn't the episcopal cult for now they are run by Satan not The LOrd Almighty and that is where the big differance is in the property and the people. I can say this and know what I am talking about for I was a big sinner and I was into homosexual relationship until I found Jesus Christ and He with His mercy has brought me out of death that I was falling into. So you do what you want but the ones of us that Know Christ will be His soldiers and help Him fight to save all people from their own damnation. I am sure you will not post this for like most of Satans followers you are afraid of what Christ truly says and want the world to follow the easy path to HELL thank you and I will pray that before your end that God will show you His mercy and not His wrath May God please bless you and show you what is His way not ours

Lee Bronson said...

in your blog you say that the property looks like it never changed hand. I beg to differ with you for it has and so hasn't the episcopal cult for now they are run by Satan not The LOrd Almighty and that is where the big differance is in the property and the people. I can say this and know what I am talking about for I was a big sinner and I was into homosexual relationship until I found Jesus Christ and He with His mercy has brought me out of death that I was falling into. So you do what you want but the ones of us that Know Christ will be His soldiers and help Him fight to save all people from their own damnation. I am sure you will not post this for like most of Satans followers you are afraid of what Christ truly says and want the world to follow the easy path to HELL thank you and I will pray that before your end that God will show you His mercy and not His wrath May God please bless you and show you what is His way not ours

Lee Bronson said...

Par for the course your system will make copies of what I put

Lee Bronson said...

I was told that what I said was wrong and not very approprate and that I should say I am sorry and I will apologize for the words I said on here. The problem is that I speak in the way I feel and I also speak the truth of what I think and feel. I am sorry if I offended anyonein my words. I will say this though The Lord gave us His word and when we change His word then we fall short of Him. I have bnot been a Christian for many years but I have felt the disipline that He can give. I do not want to feel His WRATH for completely Disobeying Him by changing His word and calling any sin not a sin. I just hope and pray that somehow and someway the people trying to change His word wioll take heed and tturn back to Him before it is too late

Muthah+ said...

Mr. Bronson, I don't know who told you that you shouldn't make those comments. I did not.

I do not think you have understood the meaning of the post.

You have a theology that is unrecognizable as anything taught in the Episcopal Church or any mainline protestant faith. I do not mind your opinions, but I will moderate them if they do not pertain to the post.