Friday Five: Spring Fling EditionWoohoooo! I wore sandals this week and my toes didn’t go numb!! That’s how I know winter is really over. For this week’s Friday Five, tell us 5 things that let you know “Spring is here!!” In your part of the world.
Spring has been here for several weeks. I put my garden in around mid-March but we had a very cool few weeks. I have shorts on today and have been wearing sandals like a Texan --most of the winter.
1. Bluebonnets-- Any Texan's heart goes all aflutter when the bluebonnets (State flower) drift over long expanses of the roadsides. They are often accompanied by Indian paintbrush and a little pink, buttercup like flower of which I do not know its name. I love to do long-distance driving at this time of the year just because the blue waves of flowers give my soul such a charge.
2. Gardening: As I said I already have picked lettuce and the patio tomatoes are as big tennis balls. It won't be long before they are ready to pick. I have to pick them while they are still greenish yellow
or the birds will get them. But they ripen very nicely on the counter of the sink. This year I have 6 tomato plants all in pots. (we rent). Also I have a 6ft long planter a friend helped me make this winter. It is on a 4ft high bench so that I don't have to bend over to weed and water. The herb garden wintered over quite well. I have chives and oregano that wintered over and have planted dill, tarragon, thyme and cilantro. I did get some catnip for the beasts, but it never made it to the garden. The cats got to it before I could even get it into the ground. We now have stoned cats.
3. Sun tea: I love it when I can put a glass pitcher on the patio table with a big, fat, honkin' decaf tea bag in it and make tea. No sweet tea for me. It doesn't quench the summer thirst like unsweet tea does. Much of the time I make iced green tea this way too. Right now I can enjoy the patio. When it gets hotter, I can't stay outside for very long, but J. sits there for hours on end reading, drinking coffee, indulging her vice and playing with the kitties.
4. Cargo Shorts: Spring and summer cannot be complete in the summer without cargo shorts. They
are perfect for everything I want to do. They have enough pockets so I don't need a briefcase or a bag. They are long enough that I don't feel that I am giving scandal to anyone. They do not expose too much skin that would be prone to burn. I can get to my cell phone and keys with ease. They do look pretty sloppy but, hey, any shorts on my butt would look pretty sloppy.
5. Post-Easter Just Sittin': 'Nuff said!