Friday, April 25, 2014

 

 

Friday Five: Spring Fling Edition

Woohoooo! I wore sandals this week and my toes didn’t go numb!! That’s how I know winter is really over. For this week’s Friday Five, tell us 5 things that let you know “Spring is here!!” In your part of the world.

Spring has been here for several weeks.  I put my garden in around mid-March but we had a very cool few weeks.  I have shorts on today and have been wearing sandals like a Texan --most of the winter.

1.  Bluebonnets--  Any Texan's heart goes all aflutter when the bluebonnets (State flower) drift over long expanses of the roadsides.  They are often accompanied by Indian paintbrush and a little pink, buttercup like flower of which I do not know its name.  I love to do  long-distance driving at this time of the year just because the blue waves of flowers give my soul such a charge. 



2.  Gardening:  As I said I already have picked lettuce and the patio tomatoes are as big tennis balls.  It won't be long before they are ready to pick.  I have to pick them while they are still greenish yellow
or the birds will get them.  But they ripen very nicely on the counter of the sink.  This year I have 6 tomato plants all in pots. (we rent).  Also I have a 6ft long planter a friend helped me make this winter.  It is on a 4ft high bench so that I don't have to bend over to weed and water.  The herb garden wintered over quite well.  I have chives and oregano that wintered over and have planted dill, tarragon, thyme and cilantro.  I did get some catnip for the beasts, but it never made it to the garden.  The cats got to it before I could even get it into the ground. We now have stoned cats.

3.  Sun tea:  I love it when I can put a glass pitcher on the patio table with a big, fat, honkin' decaf tea bag in it and make tea.  No sweet tea for me.  It doesn't quench the summer thirst like unsweet tea does.  Much of the time I make iced green tea this way too.  Right now I can enjoy the patio.  When it gets hotter, I can't stay outside for very long, but J. sits there for hours on end reading, drinking coffee, indulging her vice and playing with the kitties.





4.  Cargo Shorts:  Spring and summer cannot be complete in the summer without cargo shorts.  They
are perfect for everything I want to do.  They have enough pockets so I don't need a briefcase or a bag.  They are long enough that I don't feel that I am giving scandal to anyone.  They do not expose too much skin that would be prone to burn.  I can get to my cell phone and keys with ease. They do look pretty sloppy but, hey, any shorts on my butt would look pretty sloppy.





5.  Post-Easter Just Sittin':  'Nuff said!  



No comments: